Recipe for Nei Urundai – Ghee Laddu. Traditionally made in Tamilnadu for Christmas. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 250 grams Rice Flour (Homemade flour or Idiyappam flour)
- 50 grams Split Moong Dal
- 150 grams Sugar
- 6 Cardamom
- 100 grams ghee
- Dry roast the split moong dal on a low flame till the lentils are nutty and aromatic. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Grind the lentil to a fine powder. Sieve the powder. Grind the coarse lentil that did not pass through the sieve again till you get a fine powder. Set aside.
- Grind the sugar along with cardamom to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy sauce pan on low heat and dry roast the rice flour and lentil powder on a very low flame. Dry roast until the flour and the lentil powder starts smelling nutty.
- Add in the powdered sugar mixture. Make sure the flame is set to low.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add in the ghee.
- Mix well for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture slightly cool a bit. When the mixture is still hot enough to handle, make small bite size balls.
- Once the balls are cool, store the balls in an air tight container for up to two weeks.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu