Authentic Pallivaasal Nombu kanji recipe. Vegetarian nonbu kanji recipe. Made during the ramadan/ramzan season.With step by step pictures.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal
- 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 of a ripe tomato, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/2 cup rice grits -kurunai arisi – recipe given above.
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add in one clove and a small half inch piece of cinnamon. Add in the fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) and the yellow moong dal (paasi paruppu ) and fry on a low flame for 3-4 minutes until its roasted well and very fragrant.
- Add in the onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Add in the rice grits and water. Cover the pan and cook for 4 whistles. Switch off the flame and wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally.
- Open the cooker and add in the fresh shredded coconut, coriander leaves and the salt. Mix well to combine.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Porridge
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu