Japanese Style Okonomiyaki – Savoury Veggie Cabbage Pancake recipe. Perfect for snack or brunch. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the Pancake
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if using)
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion
- Oil for frying pancakes
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup spring onion, chopped
For the pancake
- Take a bowl and add in two eggs, water and soy sauce. Add in the sesame oil, black pepper and flour. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in the finely chopped cabbage and spring onions. Add in the salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Heat a skillet and add in a teaspoon of oil. Add in a big ladle of the okonomiyaki batter and spread with a spatula.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let it cook for two-three minutes on medium flame.
- Once the bottom of the pancake is brown, flip.
- Press the pancake and let it cook the other side for couple of minutes more. Okonomiyaki pancakes are ready.
For the sauce
- Mix in the Mayo, soy sauce, ketchup and hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Transfer the mayo to a small zip bag and cut the end of the bag.
- Spread the spicy mayo on the pancake. Finish off with a generous sprinkle of spring onion and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve hot.
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Japanese