Recipe for Kerala Olan made with white pumpkin / ash gourd simmered in coconut milk and black eyed pea. Classic Onam sadya recipe made with pumpkin and cowpea / black eyed pea. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 6–7 green chillies, slit
- 300 grams ash gourd / white pumpkin , diced
- 1/4 cup black eyed pea, cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup second pressed coconut milk
- 1/2 cup first pressed coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the curry leaves and slit green chillies. Let the green chillies blister a little.
- Clean and dice the Ash gourd. Discard the seeds and the skin. Add in the diced ash gourd to the pan.
- Add in a cup of second pressed coconut milk (lite milk). Add in the salt. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the boiled and drained black eyed pea.
- Add in half a cup of first pressed coconut milk. After adding the milk, simmer for just a minute. Do not simmer for long after adding the first pressed coconut milk (thick milk).
- Olan is ready. Serve with Kerala rice.
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Kerala