Recipe for mini Panettone – Italian yeasted sweet bread recipe with rum soaked dry fruits and nuts. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 400 – 450 grams maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 100 grams butter
- pinch of saffron
- 175 grams dry fruits soaked in 1/4 cup of rum
- 50 grams nuts (pistachios)
- zest of a lime
- zest of an orange
- Soak the dry fruits in rum for a day. To the rum soaked dry fruits, add in the zest of one lime and one orange. Add in the nuts. I added pistachios and shelled sunflower seeds. Mix well and set aside.
- Take the bowl of a stand mixer and add in the milk, eggs, sugar, salt , saffron and the yeast. Mix well and set aside for five minutes. Let the yeast dissolve.
- Add in the maida (all purpose flour) to the yeast mixture. You will need around 400 – 450 grams of flour. First add in the 400 grams of flour and if need be add in the extra while kneading.
- Knead the dough on low speed for 10 minutes. Add in the butter and knead for another couple of minutes till the butter is well incorporated.
- It is a very sticky dough. Use a silicone spatula to release the sides of the dough. Set the dough aside on a bowl. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled. Once the dough is doubled, remove the dough onto a flat surface. Mix in the dry fruits. Start kneading. Knead for a couple of minutes so the dry fruits are well incorporated.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled. Gently remove the dough and place it in a floured work surface.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces. Gently form dough balls and place it in panettone moulds. Let the dough rise for one last time in the moulds. Once the dough is doubled, make a cross on the top of the dough with a sharp knife / blade.
- Bake the bread in a 180C / 350F preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Once the bread is out of the oven, brush the top with melted butter.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Italian