Parotta, Kerala Parotta Recipe, Make Easy Parotta at Home. Step by step recipe with detailed video. A very easy recipe for home made parottas from scratch.
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon sunflower oil (for making dough)
- 1/3 cup water (plus a few teaspoons more)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil / vegetable oil for rolling parotta / cooking parotta
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- Mix in the maida (all purpose flour), salt, sugar, oil and water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for five minutes by hand. Cover the dough with a cloth. Rest the dough for 2 hours.
- After the rest, form dough balls and rest the dough balls for five more minutes.
- Take the dough ball and flatten it and roll it into a small disk. Sprinkle some oil if need be.
- Transfer the rolled disks to a plate and apply oil on top of each rolled disk. Keep stacking the rolled disk, one on top of the other and keep applying oil on top of each disk.
- Rest the dough disks on the plate for 20 minutes.
- Take a disk and place it on a flat surface. Gently pull the sides of the disks to form a large circle. It should effortlessly spread.
- Gently gather the dough in one corner and make a spiral. Repeat with all the dough disks. Rest the spirals for five minutes.
- Gently pat the spiraled dough with hand and spread the dough for 2-3 inches.
- Heat a dosa tawa and place the parottas on the tawa. Cook a minute on each side. Then apply a teaspoon of oil for each parotta and cook for a couple of more minutes on low flame.
- The dough needs to cook on a low flame so the inner part of the parotta also gets cooked evenly. When the parotta is golden, remove from heat.
- Fluff up the parotta by gently tapping the sides of the parotta (like clapping hands with parotta in the middle).
- Serve with chicken curry or mutton kuzhambu.
TIP: For a very soft parotta, add in quarter teaspoon of baking powder along. Adding baking powder will make for softest parottas.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Kerala