Easy South Indian Paruppu Poli – Sweet Poli made with jaggery. Tamilnadu style paruppu poli recipe.
For the dough
- 1 cup Maida (All purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup water (plus one or two tablespoon more)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (nallennai)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
For Pooranam / stuffing
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil or ghee for frying the obbattu
- Mix the sesame oil, water and flour to make a sticky dough. Cover the dough with oil and allow it to rest for an hour. Set aside.
- Soak the chana dal in water for an hour.
- Cook the soaked chana dal with 1 and ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistles on a medium flame. Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle naturally.
- Drain the cooked chana dal and grind it in a mixie along with jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Transfer the ground mixture to a pan and fry for 5 minutes to take out the excess moisture. Set aside to cool.
- Make small lime sized balls out of the mixture and set aside on a plate.
- Apply oil generously to your hands and take a small dough and place it on a wax paper. Start patting the dough to form a circle. Place the pooranam / stuffing ball in the middle of the dough and start covering the dough by pinching in the top. Apply oil to your hands and start pressing the ball gently to spread. Gently keep pressing the dough to evenly spread and form a circle.
- Set a griddle on heat on medium flame and place the obbattu and sprinkle some oil or ghee. Cook for a minute on each side.
- Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu