Paruppu Thogayal Recipe. Easy to do and very tasty side dish, served with rice for lunch. Made with lentils – toor dal and coconut. With step by step pictures.
- 1 Marble size tamarind
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 3 Byadagi chillies
- 2 Guntur Chillies
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic
- Insert the tamarind in a skewer and char it in fire on a gas stove for 15-20 seconds. The outer skin would turn black. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet and add in the toor dal and dry red chillies. Slowly roast the lentils on a low flame till the lentils are light brown in colour. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Dry roast fresh shredded coconut on a low flame till it slightly changes colour. Do not roast the coconut for long. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Take all the prepared ingredients, salt, raw garlic and grind it in a heavy duty mixie jar with very little water (upto 1/4 cup water) to a thick paste.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu