Recipe for pasi paruppu sambar. Sambar recipe made with moong dal. Very light recipe which is easy to digest.
Lentils and Veggies
- 1/3 cup split moong dal (paasi paruppu)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves (can also be added while tempering – see notes)
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice
- 2 cups water
For the Tempering
- 1 teaspoon Indian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup water, divided
- Take a pressure cooker and add in all the ingredients listed under Lentils and Veggies. Add 2 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the cooker to release its pressure naturally. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds when the oil is hot. Add in the cumin seeds and the fenugreek (vendhayam) seeds. Let the seeds splutter. Add in the asafoetida (perungayam). Add 1/2 a cup of water to the pan. After adding the water, add in the sambar powder and turmeric powder. Add in the salt. Let it cook for 3 minutes so the masala powders gets fully cooked.
- Add in the boiled lentil mixture and mix well. If you think the sambar is too thick, then add 1/2 a cup of hot water to the pan.
- Let it simmer on low flame for a couple of minutes. Add in the coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
The curry leaves can be added while boiling the veggies or while tempering.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu
Keywords: moong dal sambar