Recipe for healthy pasi payaru upma. green moong dal pulao.
For the Moong dal Idlis
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Green Moong Dal – Split
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of water for grinding
- 1 teaspoon oil for coating idli plates
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil (gingely oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash and soak the moong dal in water for 4-5 hours. After soaking, scrub the lentils well between fingers. Wash in running water and drain several times. Drain between your fingers to get rid of the green skin. Set aside.
- Add around 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water and grind the dal to a smooth paste. Add the salt and mix well.
- Put some water in an idly vessel and put it on medium flame. Oil the idli plate and gently fill the rounds with the batter. Put it inside the idly vessel , cover the vessel, and let it steam for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Scoop the idlis out of the idli mold onto a plate.
- Shred the moong dal idlis using a vegetable shredder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped ginger, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Add in the chopped onions and green chillies. Using a lot of onions in this dish makes the upma very tasty. Fry till the onions are soft. Add in a little salt to taste.
- Add in the shredded dal and coriander leaves and mix well to combine. Switch off the flame and serve warm with coconut chutney.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu