Recipe for Peerkangai Paal Kuzhambu. Peerkangai Curry. Ridgegourd curry with milk. Very simple and easy recipe.
- Measurements used 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- 500 grams peerkangai / ridgegourd
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 15 shallots – small onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- Wash and clean the peerkangai – ridge gourd. Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler. Cut the peeled ridge gourd into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped shallots (small onions) and fry till the shallots are soft and starting to brown. About 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add in the chopped ridge gourd, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and 1 cup of water. Cover with a lid and let it cook in medium flame for 6-7 minutes or until the ridge gourd is cooked well and water has dried.
- Add in one cup of regular cow milk. Let it simmer on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu, Coimbatore, Kongunad