- 1 medium ridge gourd
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 3–6 dry red chillies
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 inch piece tamarind
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Wash, Peel and dice the ridge gourd. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, hing, dry red chillies, chana dal and urad dal. Saute till the lentils are nice and brown.
- Add in the chopped ridge-gourd and the salt. Add in 1/4 cup of water. Cook till the ridge gourd is soft and reduced down. Add in the curry leaves, tamarind and the jaggery.
- Finally add in the fresh shredded coconut and remove from heat. Wait for the mixture to cool a bit.
- Grind the mixture without adding any water to a thick paste.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu