Peerkangai Thol Chutney Recipe. Ridgegourd Peel is often discarded but can be made into a very delicious chutney.
- Peels from 2 medium ridge-gourd
- 2 teaspoon gingely oil (Indian sesame oil)
- 2 tablespoon urad dal
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 2–3 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Wash and peel the ridgegourd. Set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add in the urad dal and fry on a low flame until the lentils are brown and roasted. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan and add in the garlic and asafoetida (hing). Fry for a few seconds. Add in the ridge-gourd peel.
- Add in the salt and green chillies to the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the peel is completely wilted. Add in a few teaspoon of water if necessary while sauteing. Once the peels are wilted and changes color, add in the tamarind and jaggery. Add in the fresh shredded coconut and remove from heat. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Transfer the cooled ridge-gourd mixture and roasted urad dal to a mixie and add in half cup of water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu