Recipe for Tamilnadu Chettinad Style Pepper Chicken Masala. Pepper Chicken Stir-Fry.
Spices For the Masala Powder
- 3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 2 dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
For the marinating chicken
- 500 grams chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For cooking the gravy
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 large sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, thick
- 1/4 cup water
- Add in all the spices to a heavy pan and dry roast on a low flame until very fragrant and the pepper starts to pop. Remove from heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Grind in the mixie to make a powder. Set aside.
- Take a big bowl and add in the chicken pieces. Add in the salt, turmeric powder and the ground masala. Set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in the sesame oil. Add in the curry leaves to the oil. Add a layer of onions and a layer of tomatoes. Top it off with the chicken mixture. Add in the thick coconut milk.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or 5 whistles whichever is earlier.
- Switch off the flame and let the cooker rest for 10 minutes. Wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally.
- Add in some fresh curry leaves and mix well. Heat a pan and transfer the pepper chicken gravy to the pan. Saute on high heat until the gravy becomes thick and the masala gets coated on the chicken. Remove from heat.
- Pepper chicken masala is ready.
- Serve hot with rice or the south Indian parottas.
Use a 2 or 3 litre cooker only for this recipe.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes or 5 whistles whichever is earlier. Have a timer so you do not burn the chicken. If you are cooking in an induction stove (recommended), cook on 1200W. If you are cooking on a gas stove, cook in medium heat. No need to add any water. The moisture from the chicken, veggies and coconut milk will be just sufficient to cook the chicken.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu