Pichu potta Kozhi Recipe – பிச்சுப்போட்ட கோழி. Shredded chicken tossed in pepper, curry leaves and ghee. Perfect side dish for rice.
For cooking the chicken
- 500 grams chicken on the bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 3 sprigs curry leaves + 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the chicken pieces in a pressure cooker. Add in a teaspoon of salt and turmeric. Also add in two cups of water. Pressure cook the chicken for three whistles (around 6-7 minutes). Remove from heat and wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally. Set aside.
- Shred the chicken into thin strips. Its important that the chicken is shredded into thin strips so the masalas coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan, preferably peanut oil. Add in the sliced onions and lots of curry leaves. Add in a teaspoon of salt and saute on a medium flame until the onions are soft.
- Add in the shredded chicken. Add in half of the black pepper powder. I like to use store bought fine ground black pepper for this recipe.
- Add in a teaspoon of ghee and saute for two to three minutes.
- Add in the rest of the pepper powder.
- Add in a teaspoon of ghee and toss well to coat. Add in around quarter cup of water. The water will help the pepper powder adhere to the chicken well. Do not add a lot of water. Be cautious as this is a dry dish.
- Keep sauteing for ten to fifteen minutes on a medium flame. Let the chicken get well roasted. Once all the water has been evaporated and the chicken is coated well with the masala, remove the pan from heat. Finally sprinkle some curry leaves.
- Pichu potta kozhi is done.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu