Recipe for Beet Uttapam. Inspired from Pondicheri Cafe, Houston. Uttapam made with a beetroot batter topped with cheese and a fried egg.
- 1 medium sized beetroot
- 2 tablespoon fresh shredded coconut
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 750 ml idli batter
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon sesame Oil for the griddle
- Optional – Fried eggs for topping
- Grind the peeled and chopped beetroot along with fresh shredded coconut and ginger. I added 2 tablespoon of water while grinding. Do not add a lot of water. Grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take about 3 cups (750 ml) of idli batter into a bowl. Add in the beet mixture.
- Heat a heavy griddle until hot. Rub the surface of the griddle with a piece of napkin soaked in oil to grease the griddle. Pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto the griddle. Using the back of the ladle, slightly spread the batter on the griddle. Do not apply pressure on the ladle while spreading. Spread in concentric circles. Sprinkle with a little oil and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip the uttapam and add in the grated cheese. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 30 seconds more. The cheese would have melted.
- Remove from the griddle and top it with a fried egg. Serve hot.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu