Recipe for home style prawn biryani / eral biryani இறால் பிரியாணி. Easy tamil style biryani recipe. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For marinating the prawns for prawn biryani
- 250 grams prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon plain vinegar
Other Ingredients for prawn biryani
- 1 cup Basmati rice (240 ml)
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 sprigs mint leaves, chopped
- 6 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain curd / yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon butter
- Clean and devein the prawns and add it to a bowl. Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and vinegar. Mix well and let the prawns marinate for 20 minutes.
- Just before starting to cook, wash and soak the basmati rice in water. Aged basmati rice works well.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add in the marinated prawns. Do not add any water. Let the prawns cook in its own juices. Remove the prawns after 3-4 minutes and set aside on a bowl.
- In the same oil used for frying prawns, add in the onions. Add in the salt and saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions are soft. Add in the crushed ginger-garlic-green chillies. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions are nicely brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves and the curd.
- Add in the garam masala powder. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes on a medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
- After 10 minutes, you would notice that the oil is seperated and the masalas are well cooked.
- Add back the prawns and butter. You can use ghee if you do not have butter.
- Add in the hot water. The rice-water ratio I have used is 1 rice:1.5 water.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the cooker. Mix well.
- Cover the cooker and cook for exactly two whistles on medium flame. (About 7-8 minutes). Remove the cooker from heat and wait for the pressure from the cooker to settle.
- Tasty prawn biryani is ready. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu