Recipe for Mint Rasam / Pudina Rasam. Mint Broth recipe. South Indian style mint rasam. Excellent home remedy for cold and flu.
For Tamarind Pulp
- half a lime size tamarind
- 1.5 cups water
For Cooking Toor Dal
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon rasam powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 sprigs mint leaves
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves
- Soak the tamarind in water for 20 minutes until it’s very soft and pliable. Gently squeeze the soaked tamarind to extract all the juices. Discard any seeds or fiber after squeezing. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in the curry leaves and cumin seeds. Saute on a low flame for 30 seconds.
- Add in the turmeric powder and rasam powder. Saute for 10 seconds on a low flame.
- Cook toor dal with water for 10 minutes in a pressure cooker. Add in the cooked toor dal.
- Add in fresh cracked pepper and the tamarind pulp.
- Bring to a simmer. The broth wiill foam up and start to bubble on the sides. When it starts boiling, switch off the flame. Do not allow the rasam to boil for a long time.
- Take a bowl and add in the salt, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Add in the hot rasam immediately to the bowl.
- Close the bowl with a tight lid and allow the flavours to develop for 15 minutes.
- Strain the rasam and serve hot.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu