Recipe for red rice idli made with unpolished red rice and whole grain black urad dal thats been sprouted. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 2 cups red rice, unpolished
- 2 cups regular white idli rice ( you can use any parboiled rice and it works fine)
- 1 cup whole black urad dal
- 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoon sabudana – javvarisi (made into a powder)
- 2 tablespoon salt
- Soak the black urad dal in water for about 10-12 hours. Drain the soaked urad dal and place it in a bowl and cover it with a lid and allow it to sprout overnite.
- Soak the rice and fenugreek seeds when the dal is sprouting.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds in a wet grinder with half a cup of water for five minutes.
- Add in the urad dal and grind for 30 minutes. Add upto a cup of water (max) while grinding urad dal.
- Remove the urad dal to a big bowl.
- Now add in the soaked and drained rice to the grinder along with a cup of water. Let the rice grind for 30 minutes. Add in the sabudana powder to the rice.
- Remove the rice and add it to the bowl. Add in the salt. Mix the batter well
- Keep the bowl in a warm and draft free place and allow it to ferment for 6-8 hours.
- Mix the batter well and the batter is now ready for making idlis. Store the batter in the refrigerator and use it in 3 days.
For smaller quantity,
You can halve the recipe and it works perfectly well.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu