Pondicherry style roast chicken with vegetables. Chicken brined overnite and roasted along with vegetables and spices. Simple and delicious recipe.
- 500 grams chicken on the bone (medium size pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams mushrooms, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, whole – keep the skin
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper, crushed
- Brine the chicken by adding a teaspoon of salt to the chicken. Mix well. Stash the chicken in the refrigerator over-nite.
- Heat butter or oil until the pan is hot. Add in the chicken pieces. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over with a spatula and cook for another 4 – 5 minutes more. Remove the browned chicken and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan (Leave the oil and the fat from the chicken) , add in the onions, garlic and the carrots. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the diced mushrooms and cracked black pepper powder.
- Saute for a minute. Add in the half cooked chicken pieces back to the pan.
- Reduce the flame to low and cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on a low flame for about 10 – 15 minutes. No need to add any water. The moisture from the vegetables, mushrooms and the chicken will be enough. But make sure you have the flame of the stove at low at all times. Sprinkle little water only if necessary.
- Pondicherry style Pan roasted chicken with vegetables is ready. Serve with potatoes and salad.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Pondicherry