Salavai Chutney – White coconut chutney made with fresh shredded coconut and dry roasted cashews. This is a chettinad style spicy coconut chutney. Recipe with step by step pictures. சலவை சட்னி!
For the Chutney
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut (Brown pith removed)
- 1/4 cup dry roasted cashewnut
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the tempering
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (gingely oil)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida powder
For the chutney
- Take a mixie jar and add in the coconut, cashews, green chillies and salt. Add in half a cup of water and grind to a smooth paste. The chutney is done!
For the tadka / tempering
- Add sesame oil in a pan. When hot, add in the mustard seeds and urad dal. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in a sprig of curry leaves, dry red chillies and asafoetida.
- Add it to the ground chutney.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Category: Chutney / Dip
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu