Healthy and easy to make recipe for South Indian Tamilnadu Samba Godhumai ravai / Cracked Emmer Wheat Dosai.
- 2 cups regular dosa batter
- 1 cup broken wheat – samba godhumai
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for cooking
- Soak samba godhumai (cracked emmer wheat), onions, cumin seeds, ginger, curry leaves, dried red chillies and salt. I used 1 cup-250 ml of wheat. So I soaked in 2 cups – 500 ml water. So the water ratio is 1 cup wheat : 2 cups water. Soak it for 20 minutes. Up to 30 minutes is fine.
- After soaking, grind it into a smooth paste. Do not use any additional water while grinding. The soaked water will be sufficient. Add water only if you think its really necessary. We are looking at a consistency of dosa batter.
- Add in 2 cups of regular dosa batter. Old dosa batter works best. Mix everything well. Add little water if the batter is too thick. It should be to the consistency of regular dosa batter.
- Heat a dosa pan / skillet until hot. Let the flame be at medium. Pour a ladle of batter onto the skillet. You can gauge the consistency of the batter from the below picture.
- Using the back of the ladle spread batter into a round.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of oil onto the pan. Let it cook for 30 seconds until the sides are brown and little brown spots start to appear.
- Flip carefully with a thin metal spatula, and cook until browned. Upto 30 seconds more. Transfer to a plate. Continue with the remaining batter. Serve warm, with chutney.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Crepes, pancakes
- Cuisine: South Indian