Recipe for South Indian style tomato rice. Bachelor friendly recipe. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1/2 inch pieces cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1.5 cup Rice (see above)
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 tomatoes (preferably country tomatoes)
- 1–2 green chillies, slit
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the spices.
- Add in the sliced onions, salt and the crushed ginger and garlic. I have crushed the ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle. If you are pressed for time, feel free to use ready made ginger garlic paste. Saute the onions for five minutes. Adding the salt along with the onions will make the onions sweat faster and will cook fast.
- Add in the masala powders. We will add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pepper powder. Saute for a minute.
- Grind the tomatoes in a mixie jar to a puree.
- Add the tomato puree to the pan.
- Wash the mixie with half a cup of water and add it to the pan. Slit the green chillies and add it to the pan.
- Close the pan with a lid and simmer for ten minutes on a low flame. Saute till the mixture is semi dry.
- Add in the rice and coriander leaves. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: South India