Sodhi recipe. Sodhi kuzhambu, kulambu recipe from Tirunelveli. Served with rice, appam or idiyappam. Tamil style step by step recipe.
For Cooking Dal
- 1/4 cup split yellow moong dal
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 medium size carrot, diced
- 10 beans, chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 drumstick, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 5 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 5 cashewnuts
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of a lime (About 3 teaspoon)
- Coconut milk taken from half a coconut
- 1/2 cup first pressed milk
- 1/2 cup second pressed milk
- 1/3 cup third pressed milk
- Cook the moong dal in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Wait for the pressure to settle naturally. Set aside.
- Cook the veggies with salt and water for 1 whistle, about 5 minutes in the pressure cooker. Wait for the pressure to settle naturally. Set aside.
- Make a paste with water, ginger and green chillies. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, curry leaves, cashewnuts and chopped garlic. Fry briefly until the mustard seeds pop. Add in the sliced onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the second and third coconut milk, cooked dal and the ground paste. Add in the salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Once the dal comes to a boil, add in the veggies. Add in the first pressed coconut milk. First coconut milk is very thick. After adding the first coconut milk, do not boil for a long time.
- Let it simmer for a minute. Switch off the flame and let it cool for 10 minutes. Add in juice of a lime and mix well.
- Serve with appam or idiyappam. It goes well with rice too!
Substituting canned coconut milk
If using canned coconut milk, add the milk at last. Add 1/2 cup water instead of second and third pressed milk. Use 3/4 cup of canned coconut milk in the place of first pressed coconut milk.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu