Recipe for sorakkai dosa / bottlegourd dosa. This is a no fermentation dosa recipe popular across Tamilnadu. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 400ml idli rice / parboiled rice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chillies ( Add more for a spicy dosa)
- 1/2 cup grated bottlegourd
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for making dosas
- Soak the idli rice / parboiled rice for three hours. Drain and add it to a mixie. Add in cumin seeds and dry red chillies to the mixie. Grind it along with a cup of water to a very slightly coarse paste.
- Add the grated bottle gourd to the ground batter. Also add in finely chopped onion, tomato, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Add in the salt. Mix well.
- I like to make the batter thin as the dosas will crisp up nicely on the griddle. Add water and adjust the batter to desired consistency. Heat a dosa griddle until hot on medium flame. Ladle half a cup of batter and spread it on the pan. As the batter is thin, you will not be able to swirl the dosa. Just spread the batter evenly with a ladle on the griddle.
- Cook the dosas for a minute on one side. Flip and cook for one more minute. I love the crisped edges. They are the best part of this dosa. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Mix the batter well before making each dosa.
- Sorakkai dosa is ready. This dosa needs to be served hot just out of the griddle. Serve with coconut chutney.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu