- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (First Paste)
- 1 medium size onion (Second Paste)
- 4 tomatoes (Third Paste)
- 3 tablespoon cashewnut
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin Seeds
- 2 cardamom
- 1 small piece mace
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup – 250 ml seeraga Samba rice or basmati rice
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups hot water
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan on low flame. Add in all of the ingredients labeled under aromatics at once. Saute till the cashew-nuts are nice and golden.
- Once the cashew-nuts are nice and golden, Add in 2 cups of onions. Saute in low flame for 10 minutes. Low and slow is the key here.
- Once the onions are roasted, add in the onion paste. Fry in medium flame for 3-4 minutes until the oil starts separating from the mixture. Then add the ginger garlic paste. Fry in medium flame for 3-4 minutes until the oil starts separating from the mixture. Do not rush. The raw smell of ginger and garlic should completely go away. Keep frying so it does not scorch at the bottom.
- Add in the tomato paste, green chillies (use more if you want it spicy) , and the salt. Cook the tomatoes until they are juiced down and dry. Little streaks of oil will start coming out from the tomato mixture. Keep frying until u see the oil. It will take about a good 10 minutes. Again, do not rush.
- Coarsely chop quarter cup each of coriander leaves and mint leaves. Add it to the pan.
- Add the washed, cleaned and diced mushrooms. Mix everything to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and let the mushrooms cook in low flame for 5 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes so the mixture does not scorch at the bottom.
- Wash and soak 1 cup-250 ml rice for 20 minutes in water. Drain. Add in the soaked rice to the mushroom mixture. Saute for a couple of minutes so the masala coats to the rice.
- Add in 2 cups of water. Let it come to a roaring boil. Once it boils, cover it with a lid and let it cook in low flame for 10-12 minutes. Stir once in between. After 10 minutes, remove off heat and let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes for the rice to get swollen. After 20 minutes, gently fluff and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Biriyani / Rice Dishes
- Cuisine: South Indian
Keywords: mushroom biryani