Soya Chunks Biryani | Meal Maker Biryani Recipe – Recipe for simple soya chunks biryani made in the pressure cooker. This biryani is made with coconut milk , onion and garlic paste. This recipe for Soya Chunks Biryani does not use curd. Home style Recipe with step by step pictures / images and video.
Prep Work 1 for soya chunks biryani – Prepping soya chunks
- 1.5 cups soya chunks
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon plain vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
Prep Work 2 for soya chunks biryani – Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cups Basmati Rice
Prep Work 3 for soya chunks biryani – Masala Paste
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 10 small onions, Indian shallots
- 4 green chillies
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 cup water to grind
Other Ingredients for soya chunks biryani
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon kalpasi (Indian food grade lichen)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 piece star anise
- 1/4 cup cashewnut
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 5 whole green chillies ( DO NOT CHOP)
Here is how to make soya chunks biryani / meal maker biryani
- Take a bowl and add in the soya chunks. Add in hot water and let it soak in the hot water for about 20 minutes. I like to use the small variety of soya chunks for this recipe. After the time, squeeze the excess water from the soya chunks and set aside on a bowl. To the chunks, add in the turmeric, salt, vinegar and the coconut milk. Mix well to combine. Marinate the soya chunks for atleast twenty minutes.
- Take a small mixie and add in the garlic, ginger, small onions, green chillies, cloves and cardamom. Add in a little water (about quarter cup) and grind to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Wash the basmati rice in running water and soak it in water just before starting to cook.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure pan. I have used a 5 liter pressure pan. Add in the ghee. If you want to make this recipe as vegan, omit the ghee. Add in the spices and the cashews. Saute for a few seconds for the spices to turn aromatic. The flavour compounds in the spices are oil soluble. Sauteing them in oil for a few seconds brings in the aroma.
- Add in the finely chopped onions and salt. Saute for a good 3-4 minutes till they are soft. Once the onions are soft, add in the ground biryani masala paste and saute for a few more minutes. Once the masalas are cooked, add in the finely chopped tomatoes. Cook for a good 4-5 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked down, soft and juicy.
- Add in the chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves and whole green chillies. The whole green chillies are added only for the aroma. It does not make the biryani spicy. Make sure to keep it whole and not to chop them. Saute for a minute. Add in the marinated soya chunks. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the water. For this biryani made using the pressure cooker method, I use 1 rice : 1.5 cups water ratio. Today we have used 1.5 cups of rice. So we will be using 2 1/4 cups of water. Let the water come to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add in the soaked and drained rice. Mix once.
- Cover with a lid and cook exactly for 2 whistles. After the two whistles, switch off the flame and let the biryani rest for twenty minutes before opening. Also, let the pressure from the cooker settle on its own. Fantastic one pot Soya chunks biryani / meal maker biryani is ready. Serve it plain or with raita. If feeling fancy, you can serve with vegetable kurma or salna.
- Prep Time: 20mm
- Cook Time: 20m