True authentic Tamilnadu Chettinad Spicy Vanjaram Fish Fry recipe from a karaikudi kitchen with step by step pictures.
- 500 grams Seer Fish (Vanjaram Fish) cut into steaks
- Garlic Paste (made with 10-12 cloves of garlic and 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 heaped tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon fine pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 heaped tablespoon corn starch
- Oil for shallow frying
- Clean the fish steaks and dry them thoroughly on a paper towel. Set aside. Take 10-12 cloves garlic and grind it to a smooth paste. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water while grinding. Apply the paste on both sides of the fish. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In the mean time make a dry rub powder with 2 heaped tablespoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon fine pepper powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 heaped tablespoon corn flour.
- Take the garlic marinated fish and dust it in the dry rub powder to evenly coat. Let the dusted fish rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a pan until very hot. The marinade will not leave the fish if fried in hot oil. That’s the trick. Shallow fry the fish for 1.5 – 2 minutes on each side in hot oil.
- Drain the fried fish on a paper towel and serve hot.
- Category: Starters
- Cuisine: South India