Recipe for Mothagam – Sweet Coconut Kozhukattai with home made ground rice. Vinayagar Chathurthi festival prasadam. Easy to do recipe with coconut pooranam.
For the Dumpling
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice
- 1 cup Water (1/2 cup + 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Oil
For the Stuffing (pooranam)
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered Jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 5 cashewnuts, broken into small pieces
- 2 teaspoon fried gram dal (pottu kadalai in tamil)
For the Dumpling
- Wash 1/2 cup of raw rice in water for 2-3 times. Soak the washed rice in 1/2 cup of water. Let it soak for a minimum of one hour. Grind the rice in the mixie along with the water used for soaking rice. Do not use extra water. You should grind it to a very smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining half a cup of water in a pan until boiling. Add in the oil and the salt. Add in the rice paste and mix well continously until it forms a very thick paste. Remove off heat. cover with a pan and set aside.
Now lets make the stuffing AKA pooranam.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in the broken cashew-nuts. Fry until golden. Add in the freshly shredded coconut, powdered jaggery and cardamom. Fry till all the jaggery is melted.
- Grind two teaspoon of fried gram dal (pottu kadalai) to a smooth powder. Add in the fried gram powder to the pan and mix well. Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool. The stuffing will thicken up as it cools.
- Now lets make the dumpling. One can make the dumpling by hand or with the help of the mold.
- * Look at visual instructions above.
- Heat an idli vessel with water and steam the dumplings for 7-8 minutes. Remove off heat and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Prasadam, Sweet, Dessert
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu, South Indian