Tamil Coimbatore style kollu paruppu kuzhambu. This kaara kuzhambu is very popular in kongunad region. With step by step pictures
- Measurements used – 1 Cup = 250 ml
For the Masala
- 1/4 cup Horse-gram (kollu)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 4 dried Red chillies
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Coconut
- 2 tablespoon Sesame oil / Gingely oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 15 Shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- half a lime size Tamarind
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- Dry roast the horse gram on low flame until fragrant. Set aside.
- Dry roast the red chillies and coriander seeds until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside. Slightly roast the fresh shredded coconut until the coconut is slightly dry.Grind the roasted horse gram, red chilli, coriander and coconut to a very fine paste. Add upto a cup of water while grinding.
- Heat sesame oil (gingely oil) in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped shallots and salt. Saute till the shallots are soft and start to brown.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind in the water to extract all the juices. Strain the juice and set aside the tamarind pulp / juice. Discard the tamarind seeds and the pith. Add the tamarind pulp to the pan. Let it come to a boil.
- Add in the ground paste and a small piece of jaggery. Add a cup of water to the curry. Close the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes on low flame. Once the mixture is thick and cooked, remove from heat.
- Serve hot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Kongunad, Tamilnadu