- 400 grams Carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 big pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Boil the carrots until fork tender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Let it splutter. If you want it spicy, use a couple of chopped green chillies.
- Add in one medium finely chopped onion and fry till soft. Add in the salt and a big pinch of asafoetida also called as hing.
- Add in the boiled carrots and the fresh shredded coconut. The coconut is optional. Briefly saute for a minute and remove off heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Add green chillies if you want a spicier stir-fry / poriyal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: South Indian