Tender coconut pudding recipe made with china grass / agar agar. Easy recipe made with simple ingredients. With step by step pictures. Measurements used 1 cup = 240 ml (approx) 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- 1 can (400 grams) condensed milk
- 250 ml milk cream (I used Amul cream)
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk (see notes)
- 1 cup full fat cow milk
- 1 teaspoon real vanila extract
- 5 grams to 10 grams china grass sheets (agar-agar) (see notes)
- 1 cup water (for boiling china grass)
- 1/2 cup chopped tender coconut meat
- Take a bowl and add in a can of condensed milk and milk cream. Also add a cup of full fat cows milk, coconut milk and a teaspoon of real vanilla extract.
- Whisk all the ingredients well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil. When it comes to a mere boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- Soak 5 grams of agar agar (china grass) in one cup cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer till the china grass is melted. Strain and add to the pudding mixture.
- Add in the tender coconut meat to the pudding mixture.
- Pour it in ramekins and let it set in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Serve cold.
For Making Coconut Milk.
(Run half a cup of fresh coconut with one cup of water in the mixie until smooth. Strain and use in the recipe.)
A note on china grass:
I have used 5 grams of china grass for the pudding. This yields in a semi solid pudding that is luscious. We like it like that at home. If you want a fully set molded pudding, use up-to 10 grams china grass.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: South India