Recipe for Thai Banana Fritters. Popular street food of Thailand, fried bananas – Kluay Kaek. Deep fried crispy bananas. Step by step pictures.
- 3 Ripe Plantains or 6 small firm thai bananas
- 1/2 Cup Rice flour
- 3 tablespoon maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water (*see notes)
- Take a bowl and add in the rice flour, maida, coconut, sugar, baking soda, salt and the sesame seeds. Add in the water and whisk well to make a smooth batter. The batter should nicely coat the bananas when dipped.
- Cut the peeled bananas into two. If using plantain, Cut the top and the bottom of the plantain. Cut the plantain into half and peel the skin. Cut the peeled plantain into quarter inch strips. set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry. When the oil is hot, dip the bananas in the batter and gently place in the hot oil.
- Fry the bananas / plantains until slightly golden on both sides.
Desiccated coconut can be substituted with fresh shredded coconut too!
If the batter is really thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time to dilute.
#DO NOT use regular ripe bananas. They will become into a mush and will stick in oil.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Thailand