Thai veg green curry recipe made with green curry paste made from scratch. A vegetarian / vegan friendly recipe. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the curry paste
- 1/2 inch peel of kaffir lime skin or regular lime / lemon skin
- 4–5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2–3 stalks lemon grass
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 inch piece galangal
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 6–7 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup onion
- 4–6 green chillies
- 5 basil leaves
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 seasoning cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 500 grams mixed vegetables of your choice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 4–5 thai chillies
- 2–3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup bell pepper, cubed (use a mix of green, red and yellow peppers)
- 5–6 basil leaves
- Add in all the ingredients under curry paste to a mixie. Add a little water and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the ground paste. Saute for 5-6 minutes till the paste is almost dry.
- Add in a seasoning cube (stock cube) and the salt. Instead of seasoning cube, you can use vegetable stock too.
- Add in the palm sugar.
- Prep the veggies and get them ready. The veggies you add is totally your choice. I have used Beans, carrot, bell peppers and green peas today. You can also add bamboo shoots, edamame, tofu, sprouts, mushroom, spinach etc…
- Once the curry paste is cooked and almost dry, add in the black pepper, remaining veggies and a cup of water. I add beans and carrots first as they take longer time to cook than other veggies. Cover the pan and cook for ten minutes.
- Then add in the cabbage and green peas and simmer the curry for five minutes. Add in the Thai chillies and kaffir lime leaves.
- Finally add in the coconut milk, bell peppers and basil. Simmer for a minute. Do not cook for long. Thai green curry is ready.
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: green curry