Recipe for thakkali thokku – tomato thokku. Perfect recipe that stays fresh for long travels. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For macerating tomatoes
- 8–10 country tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon rock salt
- a gooseberry size tamarind
- 4 dried red chillies
For the masala powder
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup Indian gingely oil – Indian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 dried gundu chillies
- 1.5 tablespoon red chilli powder (adjust according to your spice levels)
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida – hing
- 2–3 tablespoon jaggery
- Cut the tomatoes roughly and add in the salt, tamarind and the dry red chillies. Let the tomatoes macerate in salt for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, considerable amount of liquid would have come out of the tomatoes.
- Grind the tomatoes, tamarind, the chillies that’s soaking, along with the rendered juices to a paste. Set aside.
- Dry roast mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Dry roast the ingredients separately. Dry roast till each ingredient is slightly brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Grind the roasted spices to a smooth powder. Set aside.
- Heat gingely oil (Indian sesame oil) in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and dried red chillies when the oil is hot. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the asafoetida.
- Add in the red chilli powder to the hot oil. Let the powder fry briefly for a few seconds.
- Add in the ground paste.
- Add in the jaggery.
- Let the mixture boil for 15-20 minutes on a high flame. Keep sauteing the mixture to avoid scorching at the bottom.
- Once streaks of oil starts to float on top and the tomato mixture is slightly thick and has reduced considerably, add in the roasted ground powder.
- After adding the powder, saute for a couple of minutes. The thokku will thicken up after adding the powder.
- The thokku is ready. Let the thokku cool completely. Bottle the thokku in a clean, dry glass / ceramic jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a month. use a dry spoon every time you need to scoop out the thokku.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu