Recipe for Kongunad style thatta payiru kathirikkai kuzhambu. Black eyed bean curry. Recipe with step by step pictures. தட்ட பயிறு குழம்பு, தட்டாம் பயிறு குழம்பு.
For the masala paste
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 5 Indian small onions / shallots
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 cup thatta payiru / cowpea
- 1 tablespoon Indian sesame oil / gingely oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 15 Indian small onions / shallots , sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped (preferably country tomato)
- 4–5 brinjal, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak the thatta payiru / cow pea for 4-5 hours in water. You can soak it over-nite too! Wash the soaked thatta payiru and add it to the pressure cooker. Add two cups of water to the cooker. Cook for 3-4 whistles in the cooker and remove from heat. Wait for the pressure to release naturally. Set aside.
- Take a mixie jar and add in the fresh shredded coconut, Indian small onions / shallots and the spices. Also add in a couple of tablespoon of the cooked thatta payiru. It will give a nice smooth gravy. Add in half a cup of water and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat Indian sesame oil / gingely oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Wood pressed sesame oil will foam up when heated and that is perfectly fine. Dont be alarmed when that happens.
- Add in the sliced small onions / shallots. Saute for 4-5 minutes till the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the chopped tomato and the chopped brinjal. Add in the salt. (Keep the cut brinjals in a bowl of water to avoid discoloration)
- Saute for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes are half cooked and juiced down.
- Add in the ground masala paste. Wash the mixie with half a cup of water and add it back to the pan.
- Allow the masalas to simmer for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add in the cooked thattapayiru along with the water remaining from cooking the thattapayiru. Add a cup of water to the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes.
- Thattapayiru kuzhambu is ready. Serve it with rice.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu