Recipe for thattai murukku. Thattai vadai recipe made Tamilnadu Kongunad style with rice. Onion Thattai recipe with step by step pictures.
- I used rice cups for measurement. 1 rice cup = 160ml
- 2 Cups Raw Rice
- 1 Cup Fried Gram Dal (Pottu Kadalai)
- 1 Cup Chopped Onions
- 10 Curry Leaves, Chopped
- 6 Dried Red Chillies, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- 125–150 ml water
- Soak the raw rice in water for one hour. After soaking for an hour, drain the water completely and dry the rice by spreading evenly on a cloth for 2 hours. Grind to a fine powder in a mixie. Sieve.
- Grind the fried gram dal to a fine powder. Sieve on top of the ground rice flour. Set aside.
- Add in a cup of chopped onion and chopped curry leaves. Grind the dried red chillies to big flakes in a mixie and add it to the bowl.
- Add in the ghee and the salt.
- Add 125 ml of water to begin with. Mix well to form a pliable dough. If the dough is very dry, add in a tablespoon of water at a time and mix.
- Let the dough rest for half an hour before frying.
- Take a marble size piece of dough and spread it on a plastic wrap with your hands to form a circle.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Gently remove the spread dough from the plastic wrap and place it in oil. Gently turn the thattai after 40 seconds. Wait for it to be golden and the bubbles in oil to have considerably subsided.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Store the onion thattai murukku in a paper lined air tight box for up-to 10 days.
Tips: If the murukku is hard to the bite, add in a teaspoon of ghee to the dough and mix well. Fat makes the murukku softer. Don’t add a lot of ghee. The murukkus will lose its crispiness and will turn out to be softer. Add ghee only if really necessary.
If the dough is really dry, then add in a tablespoon of water to make it pliable.
Murukku making is a very patient process. This recipe for thattai murukku took about an hour to fry. I fried 5 thattais at one time. You can fry more in a bigger pan if you want to speed up the frying.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu