Recipe for kongunad thayir kuzhambu made with pachai masala (raw masala). Traditional kongunadu special thayir kuzhambu recipe.
For boiling the pumpkin
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
For the raw masala paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 green chilli
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 inch piece ginger
For the tempering
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 onion, finely choppe (1/4 cup)
- 500ml plain yogurt (curd)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dice the pumpkin into small pieces and boil the pumpkin in slightly salted water for 10 minutes. drain the pumpkin and set aside to cool.
- Grind the masalas (raw masala paste) with half a cup of water to a thick smooth paste. Set aside. Do not add a lot of water. It will dilute the curry.
- Take a bowl and add in 500ml of fresh plain yogurt. Add in the ground raw masala to the yogurt.
- To that, add in the boiled and drained pumpkin.
- Take a small pan and heat sesame oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot, add in the chana dal. Once the chana dal is slightly brown, add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the curry leaves and dried red chillies.
- Add in the finely chopped onion. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the onion mixture and add it to the yogurt bowl. Add in the salt.
- Mix well to combine. Thayir Kuzhambu is ready.
- Serve with rice.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu