For the masala paste
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
For the curry
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (vandhayam)
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 inch piece of tamarind
- 1 cup second pressed coconut milk
- 1/2 cup first pressed coconut milk
- 500 grams fish steaks
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5–6 Indian small onions. shallots, sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- In a small mixie jar, add in the cardamom, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, coriander powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and turmeric powder. Add a little water and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and when its hot, add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add in the green chillies and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds till the green chillies blister.
- Add in the finely chopped onions. Also add in the salt. I have used unrefined sea salt today.
- Saute till the onions are nicely brown.
- Add in the ground masala paste. Saute for a good ten minutes on medium flame.
- Soak half an inch piece of tamarind in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind well to extract the pulp. Discard the seeds and the pith. Add in the tamarind pulp to the curry.
- Add in a cup of second pressed coconut milk.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes. Add in the fish pieces and let it simmer covered on a low flame for 15 minutes.
- Now add in half cup of first pressed coconut milk (thick milk) to the curry. Simmer just for a minute and remove from heat.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and fennel seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the curry leaves and the sliced shallots. Saute for a few minutes till the shallots are nicely brown.
- Add it to the curry.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu