Thinai Maavu Laddu – தினை மாவு லட்டு. Recipe for laddu made with thinai (foxtail millet). Healthy laddu made with foxtail millet, peanuts and jaggery.
- 1 cup foxtail millet (thinai arisi)
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup jaggery
- 2 tablespoon water
- 3 cardamom
- Wash and soak the millet in water for five minutes. Drain the water and spread the millet on a cloth lined plate for it to dry.
- Dry roast the millet in a heavy pan on a low flame for 6-7 minutes until the millets are very fragrant and the millets turn brown here and there. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan, dry roast peanuts. Roast until the outer skin is dark here and there. Remove from the pan and let it slightly cool. Remove the husk and set aside.
- Heat the jaggery in a pan along with two tablespoon of water. Let the jaggery melt. Strain the melted jaggery to get rid of the sand and impurities. Set aside.
- Take a heavy duty mixie and grind the roasted foxtail millet along with whole cardamom to a fine powder. Add in the peanuts and pulse couple of times so the peanuts are powdered too!
- Empty the mixture on a plate. Add in half of the melted jaggery. Keep adding melted jaggery little by little until the millet mixture becomes one cohesive ball. Stop adding the jaggery at this stage when the millet mixture all comes together.
- Make small laddus and set aside on a plate.
- Store the laddus in an airtight container and use it within 3-4 days. Store the laddus at room temperature.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu