South Indian Recipe for Andhra restaurant style tangy tomato dal/tomato pappu. Usually served with rice and ghee for lunch. Using Masoor dal/Red lentils.
- 1/2 cup masoor dal/red lentil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 3 tomatoes, pureed in a food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Boil the dal in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes with 1.5 cups water until fall apart tender.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add cumin seeds, minced ginger, curry leaves and a dried red chilli. Once the curry leaves are dry and crisp, add asafoetida. If you do not like the flavor of asafoetida, omit it.
- Add in the onions and salt, cook until soft and translucent.
- Once the onions are cooked, roughly puree the tomatoes in a food processor/blender and add it to the pan. Add in the turmeric and chilli powder to the tomato mixture. Add in a teaspoon of jaggery.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer in low flame for 20 minutes. Saute in between so the masala doesnt burn.
- Once the tomato mixture is cooked and dry, Add in the dal and briefly simmer for a minute.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Green chillies for garnish
- Category: Dal / Lentil Recipes
- Cuisine: South Indian