Tomato Onion Thokku, Thakkali Vengayam Thokku for Chapati, Picnic Combo. Perfect for travel. This is a very easy to do recipe and can be put together in minutes.
- 3 tablespoon vegetable / canola or sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 Cups sliced onion
- 2 Cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add in the mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Layer the sliced onions. No need to saute.
- Just add the chopped tomatoes on top of the onions.
- Add in the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes. I got about 25 whistles.
- Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle down naturally.
- Open the cooker and transfer the Thokku to a pan. Cook the Thokku for 2-3 minutes to thicken up.
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu