Recipe for Tomato pappu with dal. Restaurant style tomato lentils with garlic and spices. Serve with rice and ghee for lunch. Easy recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (gingely oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Boil half a cup of toor-dal with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes or 4 whistles. Remove off heat. Let the pressure release naturally from the cooker. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil (gingely oil) in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add in the chopped garlic and curry leaves. Fry on a low flame till the garlic is well roasted and brown on the edges.
- Add in the chopped onions and green chillies. Fry till the onions are soft and slightly brown in colour. It will take around 5 minutes of sauteing.
- Add in the salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and hing (asafoetida). Saute for a few seconds. Do not fry for long as the masalas might burn.
- Add in the tomatoes and half a cup of water. Fry till the tomatoes are soft and juiced down.
- Add in the cooked dal to the pan. If the dal is very thick, add little water to dilute the curry. Simmer the curry for two minutes. Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian