Easy Tomato Salna that goes well with idli or dosa.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan until hot. Add in the fennel seeds and let it splutter. Add in the chopped red onion and fry till the onions are soft.
- Run three tomatoes in a mixie/blender with half a cup of water until pureed. Add it to the pan.
- Run quarter cup of fresh shredded coconut in a blender with a cup of water until it becomes a fine paste. Add it to the pan.
- Add in the salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well to combine. The salna at this stage should be watery. Add little more water if you feel that the salna is thick. Add in a teaspoon of sugar.
- Cover the pressure pan with a lid and cook for 4-5 whistles on medium flame. Switch off the heat after the said whistles and wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally.
- Open the pan and check for seasoning. Add coriander leaves for garnish and serve hot with idlis.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu