Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu – Odachi Oothina Mutta Kuzhambu – Eggs Poached directly in Curry Sauce. Perfect for week night dinners and best served with idli, dosa or chapati.
Ingredients for Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 10 cashew nut
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves + 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 red onions, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 10 mint leaves, julienne
- 6 eggs
- Make a paste of fresh coconut, cashews and fennel seeds. Grind it in a small mixie jar with half a cup of water to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Make another paste with tomatoes, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry till the onions are starting to brown on the edges.
- Add in the ground tomato-ginger-garlic paste. Add in the salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder. Fry till the tomatoes are well cooked and the mixture is almost dry.
- Add in the mint leaves and coconut-cashew-fennel paste. Add in a cup of water to the mixie jar and add back the water to the pan. Simmer for couple of minutes.
- Let the flame of the stove be on low. Add in the eggs one at a time to the curry. Let it simmer with a lid covered for 10 minutes.
- Add in fresh curry leaves and remove the curry from heat. Fresh curry leaves at the end gives the kuzhambu a very distinct aroma. Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu – Odachi Oothina Muttai Kuzhambu – Eggs Poached in Curry is ready.
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu