- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1 tablespoon Saaru Podi / Udupi Rasam Powder
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 gooseberry size tamarind
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Boil the toor dal and tomatoes with two cups of water in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and mash with the back of a cup. Set aside.
- Soak a gooseberry size tamarind in a cup of water for 20 minutes. Extract the pulp of the tamarind and discard the seeds and the fibre. Set aside the tamarind pulp / juice.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the tamarind pulp and salt. Add in 2 teaspoon of jaggery. Let it simmer for five minutes.
- Add in a tablespoon of saaru podi / rasam powder and the boiled dal-tomato mixture. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add in the finely chopped coriander leaves and the ghee.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Rasam
- Cuisine: Karnataka