Unniyappam made with ground rice. Kerala style Unniyappam
- Measurements used 1 cup = 240ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- 200ml raw rice
- 2 teaspoon urad dal
- 4 cardamom
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder (sukku)
- pinch of salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil or ghee for making appams.
- Wash and soak the raw rice, urad dal and cardamom in water for couple of hours.
- Take a mixie jar and add in the soaked and drained rice mixture. Add in the shredded coconut, jaggery, dry ginger powder (sukku) and pinch of salt. Add in two very ripe bananas. Add in a cup of water and grind to a very smooth paste.
- Add in the ghee, sesame seeds and baking soda. Usually black sesame seeds are used for this recipe. I have used white sesame today. Mix the batter well to combine.
- Heat the paniyaram pan until hot. Add a big teaspoon of oil or ghee in each of the mold.
- Ladle out the batter in the paniyaram scoop. Cook on a low flame.
- Turn the appam when golden using a paniyaram stick and cook on both sides till golden.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Kerala