Recipe for Urulai Kuruma – Potato Kurma for idli and dosa. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the raw masala paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fried gram dal (pottu kadalai)
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 3 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 country tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- juice of half a lemon / lime
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash and cut the potatoes in half. Boil the potatoes with 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker for exactly two whistles / five minutes. Remove from heat and let the pressure from the cooker release naturally. Strain the water and peel the potatoes. Set aside.
- Grind The raw masala paste adding a cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the sliced onions and saute till the onions are soft.
- Once the onions are soft, add in couple of country tomatoes – (naatu thakkali). Add in the salt and saute till the tomatoes are juiced down.
- Add in the green chillies, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the curry leaves at this stage and add in a cup of water.
- Let the gravy simmer for five minutes. Add in the ground masala paste to the pan.
- Wash the mixie with a cup of water and add it back to the pan. If the gravy is very thick, add some more water to dilute the gravy.
- Gently break the potatoes by hand and add it to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to simmer for 12-15 minutes on a low flame.
- Remove from heat and add in the lime juice and coriander leaves.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu