Recipe for Vanakkiya thakkali kurma. Kurma made with fried tomatoes. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the Masala
- ⅓ cup fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon fried gram
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seed (gasa gasa)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 2 cloves
- ¼ inch piece cinnamon
- 3 dried red chillies
- 4–5 tomatoes
- 2–3 tablespoon Indian sesame oil (gingely oil)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 chopped green chillies
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 inch piece ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- Take a mixie and add in all the masala ingredients to it. Add in half a cup of water and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat Indian sesame oil / gingely oil in a pan. Add in the mustard seeds, curry leaves and chopped green chillies. If you want a spicy kurma, add more green chillies according to your taste. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the chopped onions.
- Add in the salt and saute till the onions are soft and starting to brown. About five minutes on medium flame.
- Add in the crushed ginger and garlic along with the tomatoes.
- Saute for a good 7-8 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked and juiced down.
- Add in the ground masala paste. Wash the mixie with half a cup of water and add the masalas back to the pan.
- Add in a cup of water. Close the pan with a lid and let the gravy simmer for 15 minutes on a low flame. Mix once every five minutes to avoid scorching the pan at the bottom. The tomato kurma is ready.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu