Recipe for Varagu arisi pulao. Kodo millet pulao. Have the benefits of millets everyday! Easy Varagu Arisi Biryani using soaked varagu rice / varagarisi. Serve with Vegetable Kurma.
Varagu and Water
- 1 cup Varagu Arisi / Kodo Millet
- 2 cups Water
- 3 teaspoon Ghee or Vegetable Oil
- 2 inch piece Cinnamon
- 3 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 4 green chillies
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 3–4 springs mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
Veggies for Varagu Pulao
- 1 Potato, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- Wash the millet in running water 2-3 times. Soak the millet / varagarisi in water before starting to cook. Set aside
- Heat ghee or vegetable oil in a pan and add in the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Add in the sliced onions and fry till soft.
- Add in the slit green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Fry till the ginger garlic paste is fully cooked and dry. It will take about 3-4 minutes in medium flame.
- Add in the chopped veggies, mint leaves and salt. Fry for a minute. Add in the water and let the water come to a boil. I used one cup of varagu rice / millet for the pulao. So I need 2 cups of water.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the varagu rice / millet and mix well to combine. Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles. You can cook the pulao in rice cooker too. The water ratio remains the same for rice cooker too. If using pressure cooker, switch off the flame after 3 whistles and wait for the whistle to release naturally.
- Varagu Pulao is ready.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu